Back in Time
Hello! We're going to back track a bit and show you some pictures of Tokyo and some of the places we saw while we were staying there. For now we'll try blogging every Monday, that way in case anything interesting happened over the weekend we can tell you about it. This weekend we spent time getting our bearings around Tomioka, finding good grocery stores, a good art store, replacing Franklins bicycle seat, and ordinary things like that.
So... As we're new at this I'm not sure if I'll be able to post pictures they way I want so bear with us and hopefully we can all figure this out together! Hey, at least you don't have to translate our entries from Japanese to English, right! :)
Getting to know the train system was an interesting experience, and had it not have been for Franklin, I'd still be downtown Tokyo sleeping under a bridge somewhere! We managed to find our way to Ginza district which is a popular shopping area. That is if you like Gucci, Dior, Hermes and Armani. Sure, I'll buy that little black purse! Excuse, me, what!?!? $600.00? hmmm. Needless to say we didn't buy anything other than train tickets. It was cool to go at night and see all the lights, though. Right in the same area (Ginza) is the Imperial Palace Park, where the emperor lives, and you can tour the grounds but the palace is only open two days a year. The park is beautiful and when your in it it's hard to think you're in the middle of a city.
A couple days later we took the train to Kamakura. This is a touristy little beach town in a bay. It's also famous for the Diabutsu, which is a giant Budda, that was made out of bronze in the 13th century. Everyone else in Japan was also at Kamakura that day as it was Golden Week (a national holiday)! We took side streets and alleys and stayed away from the mobs and managed to find our way to the Diabutsu. It was pretty impressive. It had a temple over it until a tidal wave wiped it out back in the 14oo's. And for 20 yen you could go inside of it. Kamakura is also famous for it's temples and shrines so we checked out a couple of them. Very interesting, however, I don't have the information with me right now, which temples we saw exactly, and when they were built. But we did see the biggest one and I have a bunch of pictures, which hopefully I'll be able to post. :) We also found a hiking trail which took us way up above the town and gave us a beautiful view of the bay and the town below. And it ended up being way longer than we expected. Probably a lot longer than all the Japanese girls we passed with high-heels on, expected too! They are waaaay too into fashion in Tokyo! Thank goodness, Tomioka is a good old "country" town and much more relaxed when it comes to fashion! Okay. That's all for now folks. Thanks to Anna and Chattyhouse wife for leaving comments! If you're reading this leave a comment, so I know it's not all for nought! Until next time....!
So... As we're new at this I'm not sure if I'll be able to post pictures they way I want so bear with us and hopefully we can all figure this out together! Hey, at least you don't have to translate our entries from Japanese to English, right! :)
Getting to know the train system was an interesting experience, and had it not have been for Franklin, I'd still be downtown Tokyo sleeping under a bridge somewhere! We managed to find our way to Ginza district which is a popular shopping area. That is if you like Gucci, Dior, Hermes and Armani. Sure, I'll buy that little black purse! Excuse, me, what!?!? $600.00? hmmm. Needless to say we didn't buy anything other than train tickets. It was cool to go at night and see all the lights, though. Right in the same area (Ginza) is the Imperial Palace Park, where the emperor lives, and you can tour the grounds but the palace is only open two days a year. The park is beautiful and when your in it it's hard to think you're in the middle of a city.
A couple days later we took the train to Kamakura. This is a touristy little beach town in a bay. It's also famous for the Diabutsu, which is a giant Budda, that was made out of bronze in the 13th century. Everyone else in Japan was also at Kamakura that day as it was Golden Week (a national holiday)! We took side streets and alleys and stayed away from the mobs and managed to find our way to the Diabutsu. It was pretty impressive. It had a temple over it until a tidal wave wiped it out back in the 14oo's. And for 20 yen you could go inside of it. Kamakura is also famous for it's temples and shrines so we checked out a couple of them. Very interesting, however, I don't have the information with me right now, which temples we saw exactly, and when they were built. But we did see the biggest one and I have a bunch of pictures, which hopefully I'll be able to post. :) We also found a hiking trail which took us way up above the town and gave us a beautiful view of the bay and the town below. And it ended up being way longer than we expected. Probably a lot longer than all the Japanese girls we passed with high-heels on, expected too! They are waaaay too into fashion in Tokyo! Thank goodness, Tomioka is a good old "country" town and much more relaxed when it comes to fashion! Okay. That's all for now folks. Thanks to Anna and Chattyhouse wife for leaving comments! If you're reading this leave a comment, so I know it's not all for nought! Until next time....!

9 Comments:
Beth and Franklin,
Good to hear that you guys are living your dream and making the most of every second. I think about you guys everyday, and how much fun you guys must be having. When things are just getting out of whack up in the com centre and people are just showing the worst sides of them call afer call, I just think of how peaceful, reassuring and calm japan must be. I'm super jealous but also so pumped for you guys!! Mabel says hi too. You guys better start sending some pictures, because I need more of a visual!! If you can, make sure to load the pictures onto a CD, don't relay on a computer to keep them safe all the time. Take care guys!! Miss you. Look forward to when you guys will cook me super again!!
Yah, good to hear you are having fun....have lots of it before kids!!!! After let me tell you, I wish we could just take off and have adventures but, draging kids around is not fun for them, or us...I guess in a few years....or 20.
Good luck with getting pics up.
Everything sounds so interesting over there. I am glad your blog is up and working because it will be very interesting to hear from you once and a while. I hope you figure out how to post pictures because I am sure it is amazing over there. So different than Manitoba or Washington!
i dont know what I am doing but will just say this is great hearing from you liek this. have Ken and Carolyn here overnight - i hear them getting up -so it is brkfast time. Love love love Grandma Eeeee
Hey Beth and Franklin,
Thanks for updating us folks back at "home" I hope things continue to go well and that you get to experience all kinds of interesting things!
Take Care
~Heather
Hi guys,
You probably don't have a clue who I am. I am Heather Scharf's oldest sister. Franklin, I met you once at Harriet's.
Anyway, I just got back from 10 days in Japan, 6 in Tokyo, and 4 touring around Nara, Kyoto, and Hiroshima. I definitely recommend going to Hiroshima for everyone.
Congratulations on getting around so well. We had our English speaking Tokyo friends with us the whole time so were a little spoiled. I loved Japan and can't wait to go back.
What do you think of the food, especially traditional breakfast?
Hi! It's good to read about your experiences there - it sounds like you're having fun. We think of you often. Maybe Caleb and I will do a little study for school about Japan and the area where you are. Well, take care. I'll be checking in once in a while to see what's new!
robin :o)
Hi Franklin and Beth,
It's good to hear from you, I thought maybe you had forgotten
about us, in all your excitement.
Wow sounds like a real challenge.
I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. Take care
Thanks for sharing your adventure with those of us back in N.A. !!!
-SFinNY
Post a Comment
<< Home